Thursday, June 5, 2008

An excerpt (actually an entire blog) from my friend Meredith ... particularly pertinent in my life at the moment. Everything she writes, quotes, or finds amusement in is absolutely brilliant. Check it out at allcedars.blogspot.com.

"Think of God working in the solitary things, for the grass does not merely grow around our populous cities, and where men take care of it, but up there on the side of the bleak Alp, where no traveller has ever passed. Where only the eye of the wild bird has beheld their lonely verdure, the moss and the grass come to perfection, and display all their beauty, for God's works are fair to other eyes than those of mortals. And you, solitary child of God, dwelling far away from any friend, unknown and obscure, in a remote hamlet; or you in the midst of London, hiding away in your little garret, unknown to fame, and forsaken by friendship, you are not forgotten by the love of heaven. He maketh the grass to grow all alone, and shall not he make you flourish in loneliness? He can bring forth your graces, and educate you for the skies, in solitude and neglect."

- Charles Spurgeon, "Solitary Saints"

I am in Samara for the week. We rode an overnight train. We were met by the husband of one of the girls who has been to America before. Samara is a beautiful city with many old buildings. I'm having difficulty finding a converter to charge my computer, so no pictures yet. Sorry.

We will be working with children, youth, and men this week at a little church in the outskirts of town.

Next week we will fly to St. Petersburg. I can't wait to see that city I've heard so much about.

I'm having a wonderful time and enjoying everything I am doing. Love, Michael.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I feel so honored to have made the cut of receiving a shout out from the highly-esteemed Michael Airgood.

    I like Spurgeon a lot. Even if he is Baptist. :P

    ReplyDelete