Monday, June 2, 2008

June 2, 2008

Americanets. It's a familiar word - one I hear often. It is usually followed by snickering children and red-faced parents. Occassionaly it is accompanied by angry older faces or drunk wretched stares. I'm easy to pick out of a crowd.

I'm in that phase of living overseas where everything feels foreign but at the same time it all seems so normal. In Russian they have a phrase, "Shto, normalno." Maybe translated - and what's wrong with that?

The unceremoniously emptied beer bottles long before noon - Shto normalno.
A pink poodle - Shto normalno.
A train car full of students running to a different car to avoid the ticket-checkers - Shto normalno.

It's that feeling that I know something is wrong - something is outside of my norm; but I also know that everying is alright - maybe it's my norm that's wrong.

I love and miss all of you. My missionary arrives tonight - He will be the first General Board of Global Ministries (with whom I want to serve) missionary I have ever met. I'm very excited.

Love, Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment