Friday, February 15, 2013

Seminary

I have been afraid of enrolling in seminary for a long time.  I took 30 hours of Bible classes in my undergrad, and it was a pretty terrible experience.  Maybe I'm just one of those hippies who doesn't want "book learnin'" to ruin my relationship with God.  I am especially thankful for the professor who stated, "Do you all realize that everything you know about God adds up to something less than God?"  It was a good and helpful revelation.  


I had played around with the idea of entering the Moscow United Methodist Theological Seminary.  Many of my friends and co-workers graduated from the school, and its modular program fits my schedule well.  The president of the seminary invited me to join the program, and I am glad to say that I have finished my first session.  Although my Russian is sorely lacking, the other students are very kind and helpful.    


Here we are gathering for a meal together after our closing worship.  It's a fun group of young people, and many of us are serving communities across Eurasia while we study.  It's a great opportunity.  

Tuition is covered by the generous support of United Methodists around the world.  I wouldn't feel right taking tuition dollars that could support Eurasian young people - so I am raising support to cover costs.  If you would like to support the seminary and my education you can give through The Advance and list my name in the notes.  Let me know.  I will cover the balance of what I raise and what is due out of pocket.   


No comments:

Post a Comment