Wednesday, June 9, 2010

For four years of college we were taught that to be a good missionary we had to love the people who worked with. I'm not entirely certain this is true.

Don't get me wrong. I love the people I work with ... at least most of them. 99% of the people I interact with on a daily basis are outstanding. The students are fun and trendy. They work hard and play hard. Their lives are a reflection of God's love and in their company I feel the presence of God.

But every so often I end up face to face with a truly miserable person. He or she usually works for the government. Like a sweet-sacherine grin doing a headstand, their frowns manage to take up the vast majority of their faces.

Sometimes they manage to show up at our doors. They always want to complain about everything that's happening. Or they're here to shut off our gas.

Spending time with fun people is great - but I strongly believe that the real ministry begins when you don't really like someone. I have a hunch that ministry is the same everywhere - but overseas and in youth ministry you can't pronounce people's names. When you have to genuinely work at loving people you've discovered real ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment