Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Why "Unconventional Missionary"?

I've realized that I should probably explain the title at the top of this blog.

When I first felt called to missions I always pictured grass huts in Africa. As I confirmed my call through mission experiences in Russia, India, and China, my picture of missions expanded.

Still, I figured that my first long term mission experience would be somewhere working with the poor or the unreached. God had other plans.

South Korea is anything but poor. In my three weeks here I have seen 1 homeless person. And this country is anything but unreached. South Korea is home to the largest Methodist, Presbyterian, and Catholic churches in the world. While more than half the population belong to faiths other than Christianity, the Gospel message is readily available for all of them.

South Korea is a missionary sending country. My purpose here is to encourage and support that movement. We teach English because it is the international language, but much more importantly we teach love. We model a missionary lifestyle for our students with the hope that our simple lives will inspire them to missionary action.

So, I feel that my time here is a little unusual. It's not what I had in mind, but so far it's been a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment