Monday, July 2, 2012

Chernivtsi United Mehtodist Church

My job description is rather vague.  I like that about my job.  I work at the student center in Lviv, but I also have responsibilities in new church development and youth ministries in western Ukraine.  These are just words on paper until I build up enough credibility and experience to begin working with new church development and helping youth ministries find their footing.  Part of that process is visiting churches and spending time with people.  I love my job.  That's really all there is to say about that.  I'm on a bit of a roadtrip at the moment.  These pictures are in Chernivtsi.  Their pastor (not pictured, sadly) was arrested during the soviet days and imprisoned for his faith.  The congregation is wonderful to be with.  I introduced myself and gave greetings from the church in Lviv.  While the primary language here is Russian, everyone realizes that my Ukrainian is stronger so they switch to Ukrainian when they speak to me.  This is such a radical act of hospitality and humility.   The young adults and youth group just started last year and is beginning to really emerge here.  I'm hoping that they will be willing to look a little bit more toward outreach and working to share God's love with other young people.  The youth director here is so plainspoken and humble - it's been a real joy to spend time with him.

From here I will head to Romania for a few days of visiting friends followed by some days with the churches in the Uzhgorod area.  It is an honor and a joy to spend time with these good Christian people.
The church service in Chernivtsi.

The children play in the alley behind the church building.

The kids found a cute kitten. 

The young adults enjoy a picnic after church. (Yana, Ira, Vitalik)

No comments:

Post a Comment